Friday, July 5, 2013

Great Pico de Gallo

Ok so I wanted to share a quick, very easy recipe for pico de gallo. Many people may think this is all I am able to make since I often bring it/make it for gatherings, but for the record, I can make/cook a few other things that are pretty darn good (but not many).

So your ingredients:

1 bushel of cilantro
chopped tomatoes
chopped onions
El Pato yellow chiles
Salt
Very little pepper (I do two taps/shakes)
Very little garlic salt (I do 1 shake)

Now, I always buy already chopped tomatoes and onions from fresh & easy because chopping tomatoes is messy and ain't nobody got time for that. So if I'm making a good sized amount of this stuff, I literally dump 3 packages of chopped tomatoes into a bowl and about half of 1 package of chopped onions. I think each package is about 8 oz or so.

Mix together:
Chopped tomatoes
Chopped onions
Finely chopped cilantro (you'll probably use at least half of your bushel)
Pour in ONLY THE JUICE of the yellow el pato chiles into mixture (now don't pour in the whole darn thing - do about half first and see how that leaves you - add more if needed)
Stir

I then shake in a generous amount of salt, tad bit of pepper, and a tad bit of garlic salt. I have chips on hand to sample my product and then decide what I need to add more of.

Note about the yellow chiles: DO NOT (if you can help it) buy any other brand of yellow chiles other than the El Pato brand. I have tried about three other brands and none of them have the same taste I am looking for than the El Pato brand. I get mine at Ralphs - they do not carry it everywhere. You'll find it in the mexican food aisle (I always find mine on the bottom shelf).



So that's it! It's quick and easy if you already buy the tomatoes and onions chopped - the only thing that takes the longest is washing and chopping up the cilantro (but seriously, than takes 4 mins and 37 seconds).



Enjoy!!

-Em

No comments:

Post a Comment