Thursday, November 28, 2013

I Feel Like a Stuffed Turkey

So besides being up at 5am this morning because I no longer am able to sleep, I also feel like a big overstuffed turkey just waddling around. This pregnancy has made me feel bigger than my first and what's scary is that I still have about 15 weeks to go - so I'm only going to keep getting bigger. That's sort of scary!!

But it is Thanksgiving! So I am thankful that I am housing a growing baby for a few more months even though I will be a sight to see with a huge gut leading the way. And I am thankful that my house is warm right now (although some might say it's still cold as we don't set our thermostat for 70 - it is set for a  few degrees below this). And I have a family who loves each other. And that Tony is such a good dad to Ava and his son already.

Fun story - on Sunday we had a sort of mini thanksgiving lunch after church at home. And Tony was showing Ava the wishbone and explained to her the whole wish thing and whoever gets the bigger piece when it breaks, yada yada yada. So it breaks. And Ava gets the small piece. And just when it looks like she might cry, Tony says "Do you want to know what I wished for?" So she says yes and he says, "I wished that your wish would come true." And boy, did she just light up and smile. What a wonderful daddy who just saved the day and made her day! So Ava was BEAMING and smiles at us and says "Oh good because I wished to be a fairy!" Oh jeez - didn't see that coming. So even though Ava won't turn into a fairy ever, Tony gave her a great moment.

But the 1 thing I am most thankful for (if I had to pick just one) is that "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." - John 3:16-17. Isn't that remarkable? That God SO LOVED the world - SO LOVED. Not just cared for or like the world, but SO LOVED. And when I think of all the rotten things I have done in my life, I am THANKFUL. And grateful. And humbled. And ashamed even. Because I have done and continue to do rotten things. But He did it anyway, even knowing all this. So I am thankful.

Now that I have a child, I could never in my whole life imagine sending my one child as a ransom for the sins of the world. My sinful self sees other sinful people and I think, "No way would I give my one child away to die for so and so." Especially then if no one cares about the sacrifice later and forgets all about. Or says it really didn't happen - NO WAY would I give my child up to do this when so many people would reject it or ignore it. But God is not me. And God SO LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten Son . . . wow. That is the best thing ever. And that has to be the number one thing I am thankful for - how could it not?

Everyone please have a wonderful thanksgiving! And give thanks for the Lord is good. And I am so excited that my family is here and we are already enjoying the next few days together. And I will get to see a friend tomorrow who I haven't seen in years! Literally - years! Wow - what a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

"Oh come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms." Psalm 95:1-2

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment