Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Boy

So as many of you know, we are having a boy (Tony actually did a sort of reflex fist pump during the ultrasound - I say it was a reflex because he has said, "It just happend - I didn't even mean to do it"). He was also very excited when we found out we were having a girl with our first pregnancy so don't go thinking we prefer one gender over the other - does not matter to us in the slightest. The Lord will give us what we need to be given.

I felt we really tried to prepare Ava that the baby "will either be a boy or a girl - we don't get to pick." Anytime she would say "maybe it will be a girl," I always replied with "we don't know, we can't pick, it may be a boy, God will give us what we are supposed to have," etc. So when the day came where Ava heard It's a Boy! from the lovely ultrasound technician, she responded with "he can sleep in the office." So, I'm thinking she was really hoping for a sister. Her face just said it all - she was not planning for a brother.

I think I sort of get her hesitancy. I didn't grow up with brothers and I don't know much about males other than what I've observed from people around me and from what I know from Tony. I know about girls - I am a girl so that's my specialty. But, never fear! We have an expert in our home to help! Tony is a male! So this is actually perfect and takes so much pressure off me to know how to teach someone "guy" things. Now, in all seriousness, I love that God made man and woman. What a perfect design. When I think of Tony, I love that he is strong, protective, masculine, chivalrous, etc. It just warms my heart and brings me comfort knowing he protects our family and just loves us. He brings so much to our home that I can't bring simply because I'm a girl and we're different. I am really looking forward to having a son and to raise him with Tony to be a good man who loves the Lord. Wow - what a big responsibility having children is?! All of the things you have to think of - so much responsibility! But the Lord is guiding us and as long as we stay focused on Him, we will be on the right path.

Now, Ava is getting more excited every day and warming up to the idea of a brother. She took all of the ultrasound pictures and taped them on the wall in our dining room. She has now felt her brother kicking which she laughed and smiled and thought was just great. She has even seen some toys that she thinks he would like and has said, "maybe we can get that for the boy." THE BOY - so that is apparently what she is calling him now. She does give my belly a hug everyday and say, "I'm giving the baby a hug" so she is coming around. We have talked about what we will need to teach him and she lit right up and had a ton of ideas.

I can't wait for Ava to meet her brother. Other than Tony and the staff who will be there deliving the baby, Ava will be the first one to see him in our family. It only seems right for us to do it this way. Our little family. I love having a family.

Ava will love him - and he will love her. And Tony and I love them so much it just fills my heart and sometimes I get tears in my eyes. What wonderful gifts we have been given to cherish and love and teach (among many other things). I pray for them everyday.

"Only love can be divided endlessly, and still not diminish." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment