Monday, November 4, 2013

Witch Doctor

Okay, so I'm feeling like sort of a witch doctor but I use that term very loosely because I really don't know what a witch doctor is and it doesn't sound like it would coincide well with my Christian beliefs. So maybe that's the wrong word. And I'm too lazy to look it up. But let's not get crazy about it - just know that I'm now into using essential oils.

I learned about them from a long-time friend (thanks Ash!) and after my daughter got sick with bacterial pneumonia this year, I figured, let me try it. I had heard about an oil called thieves that helps with sickness or you could use it to clean with, as well as a bunch of other oils so I thought, why not? Well, let me just say - I am loving all of the oils I have so far and I am putting them on people around me and diffusing it in our home. I feel sort of like a crazy lady and people may think I have jumped off the deep end but have no fear - I think I am still mostly sane.

So I gave my mom a bottle of an oil called Valor, which is a blend of some oils (I don't remember which) and told her to rub a drop under each big toe and behind each ear so that she wouldn't snore at night. She laughed at me, I laughed too, and that's when that witch doctor song popped into my head. But I said "just try it - the whole neighborhood hears you snoring at night (we do - I live around the corner from her)so what's it gonna hurt?" Well, she didn't snore for a week which had everyone impressed and my stepdad gave me a hug and nearly cried. BUT THEN she gave the bottle back to me and told me it was because she wanted to see if it was really the oil that was helping (but she could have been thinking she had gone off the deep end too using the oils so she returned it). Needless to say, the snoring started back up the first night she didn't use it and my stepdad came back to my house in search of the bottle. He also asked me how it works to which I replied, "I have no idea." But it works (and I've heard there actually is a description of how it works out there, but again, I'm too lazy to go check it out).

That is just one example so far of how I've used the oils. I've also been cleaning with them, diffusing them, putting some into a spray bottle and spraying it everywhere, etc. Last night, I felt a sore throat coming on so I diffused some thieves in my room at night while I was asleep - I feel perfectly fine this morning. My daughter was coughing the other night so I diffused some stuff in her room - she slept like a baby and I didn't have to use her inhalers. I had a cut on my finger - I put a drop of lavender on it - within 2 hours it was practically gone. Tony had a toothache this morning so I told him to rub some thieves on it - pain is gone (and I am NOT paying for ANOTHER root canal by the way! He can go find a random person for all I care to pull the tooth out for a small fee - I am not doing it!). Remember the saying - "You don't need to floss all your teeth - just the ones you want to keep!" Tony needs to get on it (whew, that was my pregnant lady rant right there where all of your feelings just come pouring out at once with no filter).

Anyway, that is why I feel like a witch doctor. People tell me something and I say, "I have an oil for that!" So if you come to our home for a visit, you may find yourself being a hit with random oils - AND I even think you will love it :)

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment